SIM logo - back to home
Links  |  Contact
Who we are
Structure
Mission and Vision
SIM Bylaws
Strategic Plan
Meetings
Publications
Projects
Partners
Only Members
 
Versión en Español


Back

Council Meeting

 

 


metrology pictures

 

 

SIM Council Meeting
September 15th and 18th, 2003

Panama City - Panama
DRAFT MINUTES



ATTENDANCE LIST

COUNCIL MEMBERS

 

Felipe Urresta President SIM, INEN
Luis Mussio Chairman SIM TC, CENAM
SIM/JCRB Representative
Yoshito Mitani, Chairman, SIM PDC, CENAM
Oscar Harasic Executive Secretary, OAS
Steve Carpenter Technical Advisor, NIST
José A. Dajes Castro Coordinator ANDIMET, INDECOPI
Carlos Roberto Ochoa Coordinator CAMET, CONACYT
Hermon Edmondson Coordinator CARIMET, BSJ
Raul Nunes Coordinator SURAMET, INN
Willie May On behalf of NORAMET Coordinator, NIST
Paulo Ferracioli SIM Secretariat, INMETRO
On behalf of Past President, INMETRO

Taynah Lopes de Souza SIM Recording Secretary, INMETRO

 


OBSERVERS

 

Dianne Lalla-Rodrigues ABBS, Antigua and Barbuda
Hratch Semerjian NIST, USA, QSTF Chairman
Juan Castillo IBMETRO, Bolivia

 


AGENDA

 

1. Introduction and Welcome / Introdución y Bienvenida
2. Verification of Quorum / Verificación de Quórum
3. Approval of Agenda / Aprobación de Agenda
4. Approval of the Minutes from previous Council Meeting / Aprobación de la Acta de la Reunión Anterior del Consejo
5. Matters arising from the Minutes / Asuntos derivados de la Acta
6. OAS Progress on General Assembly Organization / Progreso en la Organización de la Asamblea General

7. Other Business / Otros Asuntos

 


Meeting:

 

1. Introduction and Welcome / Introdución y Bienvenida
President Felipe Urresta welcomed the Council Members.

 

2. Verification of Quorum / Verificación de Quórum
The quorum was verified, eleven members of Council being present.

 

3. Aproval of Agenda / Aprobación de la Agenda
The agenda was approved with no amendments.

 

4. Approval of the minutes from previous Council Meeting
Comments to the minutes:
1) On item 2, it should say that Hermon Edmondson is the CARIMET representative and not CAMET.

With this amendment, the minutes were approved.

 

5. Matters arising from the minutes
Pending Issues
Concerning the preparation of a position paper on SIM Activities to CIPM, Felipe Urresta commented that it need more clarification on who should prepare it. He mentioned that maybe the representative to the JCRB should prepare it but Luis Mussio explained that the letter should be sent after we have knowledge of CIPM's Agenda. The paper should be sent to those SIM members who are also members at the CIPM - Canada, USA, Brazil and Argentina.

It was decided to wait until some more clarification on the issue from Terry Quinn to decide what must be done.

 

Felipe Urresta also commented the presentation to the NCSLI meeting which was made by Yoshito Mitani and himself. Luis Mussio then mentioned the necessity of having more contact with NCSLI, specially in what concerns our General Assembly. Steve Carpenter agrees with Luis Mussio, adding that the country responsible for organizing SIM General Assembly should send a representative to the Board of Directors Meeting of NCSLI.

 

Willie May commented that as SIM grows the General Assembly should not be organized by the host country but by a SIM committee, as a permanent group that would be responsible for the whole organization. Felipe Urresta suggested that the Executive Secretary should be responsible for the Chair of the mentioned committee.

 

CR09/03: It was resolved to form a GA Planning Committee to be composed of the Executive Secretary of SIM as Chair, the TC Chairman, PDC Chairman and Technical Adviser. The group is charged with the planning of General Assembly Meetings for a three years cycle and to submit their proposals to the Council, taking into account potential conflicts with meetings of other international organizations related to metrology and standardization. The proposals will be discussed and approved at the General Assembly.

 

Luis Mussio also proposed to establish a deadline for the host country to confirm the date of the GA.

 

Carlos Ochoa then brought up item 10.3 of last Council Meeting, related to the convenience of having SIM financial reports, an issue suggested by Hratch Semerjian.

 

Luis Mussio then added that what is missing is a presentation of such reports to the Council as a permanent issue in the Agenda of the Meetings, as these reports are already presented to the OAS.

 

6. OAS Project Preparation for Fiscal Year 2004
Steve Carpenter presented two documents - Workplan 2004 and SIM Expenditures Report 2003 - that were distributed to Council Members in a CD. Those documents shall be publicized on the SIM Website.

 

7. Report from the QSTF and review of the Document #9
The subject was discussed in Ottawa, where there was a meeting of the QSTF. The subject, as Hratch Semerjian mentioned, was also discussed during NCSLI meeting. The minutes of the QSTF meeting was still under comments, that's why it was not included in the workbook.

 

It was suggested to publicize the document and the minutes on SIM Website.
On the next meeting in February it will have to be decided which countries are able to implement the quality system, as the transition period finishes in the end of this year. Hratch Semerjian believes that most countries will request an extra period for their implementation.

 

8. TC Proposal for the ICDB and SIM-MRA
During the TC Meeting in Ottawa, it was proposed to formalize a Mutual Recognition Agreement among SIM Members, which would be voluntary. Hratch Semerjian mentions that it could be an important step towards the establishment of FTAA, specially for those smaller countries.

 

Luis Mussio proposed to present this resolution to the General Assembly. Some modification on the resolution was proposed and Luis Mussio is going to prepare a new version to be presented at the General Assembly.

 

9. Legal Metrology Training Needs
The documents sent by the Legal Metrology Working Group Chairman - Cesar Luis - were included in the workbook.

 

Steve Carpenter explained to the LMWG Chairman that the budget could not support that amount and if the countries are committed to making progress in the area of Legal Metrology they would have to provide most of the funds, as SIM must be seen just as a facilitator, that could not provide all funds for travel, honorariums, etc..

 

He also asked the LMWG to prepare a more formalized request of funds. Oscar Harasic agrees with Steve Carpenter mentioning the necessity that all groups see SIM funds as a facilitation but not as the only provider. He also added that OAS offers some regular courses through the internet, what could be used to save expenditures with travels.

 

10. Other Business
- QS Working Group and Documentation Working Group

 

Dianne Lalla Rodriguez, the QS Working Group Chair, was present at the meeting and she explained that the main subject of the QS Working Group at the moment concerns the works of the QSTF, what has already been discussed. She also added that they will be willing to help the NMIs within the review of their quality systems.

 

Having no more subjects to be discussed, the meeting was adjourned for Thursday.

 

SIM Council Meeting
September 18th, 2002
2nd Day

 

 

DRAFT MINUTES


ATTENDANCE LIST

COUNCIL MEMBERS

 

Felipe Urresta President SIM, INEN
Luis Mussio Chairman SIM TC, CENAM
SIM/JCRB Representative
Yoshito Mitani, Chairman, SIM PDC, CENAM
Oscar Harasic Executive Secretary, OAS
Steve Carpenter Technical Advisor, NIST
José A. Dajes Castro Coordinator ANDIMET, INDECOPI
Hermon Edmondson Coordinator CARIMET, BSJ
Raul Nunes Coordinator SURAMET, INN
Willie May On behalf of NORAMET Coordinator, NIST
Paulo Ferracioli SIM Secretariat, INMETRO
On behalf of Past President, INMETRO
Steve Stahley NCSLI President

Taynah Lopes de Souza SIM Recording Secretary, INMETRO

 

 

OBSERVERS


Hratch Semerjian NIST, USA, QSTF Chairman
Juan Forastieri INTI, Argentina

 


AGENDA

 

1. Introduction and Welcome / Introdución y Bienvenida
2. Verification of Quorum / Verificación de Quórum
3. Approval of Agenda / Aprobación de Agenda
4. Future Activities for 2003/ Atividades Futuras para 2003
5. Future Activities for 2004 / Atividades Futuras para 2004
- Council Meetings
- SIM Activities in Costa Rica
- SIM Activities in Mexico
- SIM participation at NCSLI
- Documentation
- GA Program Ccommittee
- Letters to be sent
6. Matters arising from the General Assembly / Asuntos derivados de la Asamblea General
- MOU
- QSTF
- Operating Procedures regarding CR an GA Resolutions
- Budget
7. Other Business / Otros Asuntos
- Preparation for Elections in 2004
- Status of the SIM-PTB Colaboration on Chemical Metrology

 

 

Meeting:

 

1. Introduction and Welcome / Introdución y Bienvenida
Felipe Urresta welcomed the Council Members.

 

2. Verification of Quorum / Verificación de Quórum
The quorum was verified, twelve members of Council being present.

 

3. Approval of Agenda / Aprobación de la Agenda
An agenda was proposed and then approved by all members.

 

4. Future Activities for 2003/ Atividades Futuras para 2003
1) Chemical Metrology Seminar and Chemical Metrology working Group Meeting in Venezuela.
2) APMP-SIM QS Workshop in Malasia in December.
3) Course on Legal Metrology
4) JCRB Meeting

 

5. Future Activities for 2004/ Atividades Futuras para 2004
Council Meetings
Before establishing the dates for the next meetings, members discussed whether there would be financial resources for that or not. The problem is that the first disbursement is only in April what means that there would be no money for a Council Meeting before that.
Next meetings were established as follows:
1) Council Meeting in February, during Costa Rica Activities.
2) Council Meeting on April 30th, in Mexico (during CENAM 10th Anniversary).
3) Council Meeting in October, during GA in Venezuela.

 

SIM Activities in Costa Rica (February)
1) Council Meeting
2) Chemical Metrology
3) QSTF Meeting

 

SIM Activities in Mexico (April/May)
1) Council Meeting (April, 30th)
2) TC and PDC Meetings
3) QSTF Meeting (April, 27th)
4) Celebration of CENAM 10th Anniversary (April, 29th)

SIM participation at NCSLI
NCSLI Conference - July, 11th to 15th, 2004. Steve Stahley stressed the importance of having a presentation of SIM during the meeting, what the members agreed to be of great importance for SIM, to have more visibility. Felipe Urresta will contact Seton Bennett to propose a session on Metrology in the Americas.
Steve Stahley also raised the issue of SIM participation at the Board of Directors. SIM Representative to NCSLI, Joao Jornada will continue with his work on that, for what Luis Mussio asked for some more clarification of the activities involved on that and the President of NCSLI explained that it was mainly supposed to give more information on recent SIM activities.
It was suggested that SIM President participated in the next NCSLI Board of Directors, scheduled for next October in Mexico to get more information what he explained that should be based on a coordination with Joao Jornada, SIM Representative to NCSLI.

 

Documentation
Concerning the translation of some NCSLI documents, Steve Stahley explained that they already have pland for the translation of one document and regarding other documents, there shall be more information on that after the next NCSLI Board of Directors that shall take place in Mexico, in October.

 

GA Program Committee
In accordance to Resolution GA04/03, the Program Committee should be composed of: SIM President, SIM Representative to NCSLI, the Representative of the hosat organization and two other names to provide subregional representation.
For the next GA the Program Committee Members shall be following: Felipe Urresta, Joao Jornada, Haygas Kalustian, Jose Dajes and Luis Mussio.

 

Letters to be sent
Letters of thanks will be sent to the Secretary of SENACYT, to CENAMEP and other groups involved in the orgaanization of the SIM Week in Panama. Letters of appreciation shall also be sent to all invited speakers.
Aa letter will be sent to NCSLI notifying them of the next SIM General Assembly to be held in Venezuela, during October/November 2004, to ensure expanded participation by NCSLI members.
A letter of appreciation shall be sent to CENAM to thank for the long standing services of Dr. Ismael Castelazo.
A letter of appreciation shall be sent to NCSLI to thank for the long standing services of Mr. Ed Nemeroff.

 

6. Matters arising from the General Assembly / Asuntos derivados de la Asamblea General
SIM MOU
In accordance to GA Resolution 08/03, the Council decided to ask Luis Mussio to prepare a draft document on the matter to be discussed by the Council in a future Council Meeting. Raul Nuñes and Hratch Semerjian have volunteered to help Luis Mussio.

 

QSTF
The Council has asked the SIM QSTF Chaiman to send a copy of the SIM Document#9 to all members, and to notify them of the schedule of the review meetings. Those NMIs that want to have their QS reviewed should contact the Chair of the SIM QSTF (Hratch Semerjian).
Jose Dajes volunteered to translate SIM Document#9 to Spanish in two weeks time.

 

Operating Procedures regarding CR an GA Resolutions
The Council has requested NCSLI to share with SIM their administrative guidelines to be used as an example to develop a more efficient SIM operating procedures. Felipe Urresta has assumed responsibility for follow-up.

 

Budget
The Council has requested the submission of a summary financial report for discussion at all future Council Meetings.
Steve presented the proposal for the budget of 2004 under two scenarios - one considering a budget of US$ 250,000.00 and another one in case the reduction on the budget remains, considering it as US$180,000.00. The report shall be annexed to the minutes.
The Council expressed their interest of having SIM Metrology Working Groups to put more emphasis on training activities.

 

7. Other Business / Otros Asuntos
Preparation for Elections in 2004
The Executive Secretary will send out letters to the member organizations to notify them of the upcoming election for the President of SIM at next General Assembly and encourage nominations from the members.

 

Status of the SIM-PTB Colaboration on Chemical Metrology
The MOU has not been signed yet but some activities have already been developed under PTB funds, as Jamaica participation on Chemical Metrology Working Group Meeting for example.
The Council then expressed their interest in having information concerning the activities and the budget for the region under SIM-PTB Project.
Felipe Urresta is going to prepare a letter for PTB asking for information on these issues.
Willie May volunteered to supply information on SIM-PTB colaboration in Chemical Matrology.

 

Having no more subjects to be discussed, the meeting was closed.

 

 

 

 

Top