SIM logo - back to home
Links  |  Contact
Who we are
Structure
Mission and Vision
SIM Bylaws
Strategic Plan
Meetings
Publications
Projects
Partners
Only Members
 
Versión en Español


Back

Council Meeting

 

 


metrology pictures

 

 

SIM Council Meeting
November 02nd, 2004
Hotel Marina Bay
Margarita Island - Venezuela

 

 

DRAFT MINUTES


ATTENDANCE LIST

COUNCIL MEMBERS

 

Felipe Urresta SIM President, INEN
Oscar Harasic Executive Secretary, OAS
Yoshito Mitani Professional Development Committee Chair, CENAM
Steve Carpenter Technical Advisor, NIST
Luis Mussio Technical Committee Chair and
JCRB Representative, LATU
Luis Carlos Gomes On behalf of Past President, INMETRO
Jose Dajes ANDIMET Coordinator, INDECOPI
Hernando Florez On behalf of CAMET Coordinator, SENACYT
Hermon Edmondson CARIMET Coordinator, BSJ

Taynah Souza On behalf of SIM Secretariat, INMETRO

 

 

OBSERVERS

 

Hector Nava Jaimes CENAM, Mexico
Andrea A. Cid INMETRO, Brasil
Robert Kaarls CIPM

 


DRAFT AGENDA

 

1. Introduction and Welcome/Introducción y Bienvenida
2. Verification of Quorum/Verificación de Quórum
3. Approval of Agenda/Aprobación de Agenda
4. Approval of Minutes of previous Council Meeting/Aprobación de la Acta de la Reunión Anterior del Consejo
5. Matters arising from the Minutes/Asuntos derivados de la Acta
6. On the SIM Presidential Election/Sobre la Elección de Presidente del SIM
7. Report from the General Assembly Working Group/Reporte del Grupo de Trabajo de la Asamblea General
8. International Participation by SIM" - JRCB, NCSLI, Other RMO/Participación Internacional del SIM - JCRB, NCSLI, otros RMO
9. Report from Permanent Committees/Informe de los Comites Permanentes
10. Request for Formal Designation of TC and PDC Chairs/Pedido de Designación Formal para los Comités TC y PDC
11. Other Business/Otros Asuntos

 

 

Meeting:

 

1. Introduction and Welcome/Introdución y Bienvenida

Felipe Urresta welcomed Council Members, apologising for his absence at the last SIM Council meeting, due to his designation by the government of Ecuador as the official representative in a project that demanded full time dedication. Felipe Urresta also thanked Oscar Harasic for representing him at the last meeting.

 

2. Verification of Quorum/Verificación de Quórum

Quorum was verified, 09 out of 12 members of Council were present.

 

3. Approval of Agenda/Aprobación de la Agenda

The agenda was approved with no amendments.

 

4. Approval of the minutes from previous Council Meeting

Comments to the minutes:

Luis Mussio showed the Council some proposals for Council Resolutions of previous Council Meetings, as he noticed that there had been no resolutions. He then asked Council Members to analyse the proposals and make comments. After some discussion, the following Council Resolutions were proposed:

 

From Council Meeting held in Costa Rica, in February:
CR01/04: To support the initiative of Hratch Semerjian for the preparation of a book about the history of metrology in Americas to be publicised.

 

From Council Meeting held in Mexico, in May:
CR02/04: To appoint Dr. William Anderson from NIST, USA as SIM alternate representative to the JCRB due to the resignation of Dr. Hratch Semerjian. The Council expressed their gratitude for the invaluable work of Dr Semerjian.

 

CR03/04: To confirm the appointment of Dr. Claude Jacques from NRC-INMS, Canada, as Chairman of the Mass MWG.

 

CR04/04: To approve version 02 of SIM Document #9 Quality Systems Review Procedures.

 

Luis Mussio also remarked that in the minutes of the last meeting there had been some informal quotations concerning the comments of participants at the meetings. It was suggested to change the quotations, to include the full name of the commentator. Hermon Edmondson then made some remarks concerning the draft of item 10 of the minutes, which will be modified.

 

The minutes of the Council Meeting, held in CENAM, Mexico in May 2004, were then approved with the above amendments.

 

5. Matters arising from the minutes

The Council decided to discuss the participation of CARIMET at CROSQ during the CROSQ General Assembly.

It was decided to send a letter to Hratch Semerjian to thank and congratulate him for his invaluable work at SIM.

 

6. On SIM Presidential Election

Felipe Urresta first mentioned some points from SIM statutes, reminding that only delegates can vote, unless the Council Member is also the representative of a member country. The Council then moved to discuss the draft for the ballots and the following resolution was approved:

 

CR05/04 The ballots for the election of SIM President will be prepared by the Secretariat with the name of the candidate's country, the name of the representative and the options: yes, no and abstention.

 

7. Report from the General Assembly Working Group

The draft version for the agenda of the General Assembly was discussed, modified and then approved by the Council.

 

8. International participation by SIM - JCRB, NCSLi, Other RMO.

Hector Nava Jaimes proposed the discussion of SIM participation at international fora. After a long discussion among Council Members, it was proposed to designate delegates in advance in order to foster a smooth transition of TC and PDC Chairs, and JCRB representatives. As a recult of the discussion, Council Members agreed to approve the following resolution:

 

CR06/04: To review the timeline for the appointment of the TC and PDC Chairpersons, and JCRB representative to assure the continuity and transference of experience to the successors.

 

9. Report from Permanent Committees

Luis Mussio requested the Council to discuss the designation of MWG Chairpersons, as he noticed the necessity of having a more formal mechanism for such designations. Council Members expressed their concern not only related to MWG Chairs designations, but also of all SIM committees and coordinations. The following resolution was then approved:

CR07/04: SIM President should send a formal letter to the Director of each NMI, in order to formalise the appointments for SIM Committees, Regional Coordinators and Working Group Chairs.

 

10. Request for the designation of TC and PDC Chairpersons.

Steve Carpenter proposed the appointment of Luis Mussio for the next 3 years as TC Chair, as he has been substituting Ismael Castelazo for one year. Felipe Urresta proposed the appointment of Yoshito Mitani as PDC Chair, for another three-year period. The Council ratified both proposals:

 

CR08/04: To appoint Luis Mussio as TC Chair for a first three-year period.

 

CR09/04: To appoint Yoshito Mitani as PDC Chair for a second three-year period.

 

The President shall send letters to the NMIs, formalizing their designation.

 

11. Other Business

Steve Carpenter made a brief presentation about the Project which ended in 2003, as the report was sent to members in advance. He explained that there had been no difficulties for the execution of the project for the past period. The project was supported by OAS, who requested an auditing after its conclusion. A private consultant was hired and after having gathered information, the report was presented to OAS. The final conclusion was that the project was considered successful and it will be used as a model for other similar activities.

 

Steve Carpenter also informed the Council that the Project "Implementation of Metrology Infrastructures of the Americas to support Free Trade and Quality of Life", for the years 2005 to 2008, was approved and that he had requested a budget of US$ 300,000.00 per year. He also informed that the budget for next year shall be approved in the beginning of 2005 and that the report of the project is going to be discussed during the General Assembly.
Having no more subjects to be discussed, the meeting was closed.

 

 

SIM Council Meeting
November 05th, 2004
Hotel Marina Bay
Margarita Island - Venezuela

 

 

DRAFT MINUTES

 

ATTENDANCE LIST

COUNCIL MEMBERS

 

Dianne Lalla-Rodrigues SIM President, ABBS
Felipe Urresta Former President, INEN
Oscar Harasic Executive Secretary, OAS
Yoshito Mitani Professional Development Committee Chairman CENAM
Steve Carpenter Technical Advisor, NIST
Luis Mussio Technical Committee Chair
JCRB Representative, LATU
Ever Cabrera SURAMET Coordinator, INTN
Jose Dajes ANDIMET Coordinator, INDECOPI
Miguel Tevez CAMET Coordinator, CONACYT
Jim McLaren NORAMET Coordinator, NRC

Taynah Souza On behalf of SIM Secretariat, INMETRO

 

 

OBSERVERS

 

Hector Nava Jaimes CENAM, Mexico
Andrea A. Cid INMETRO, Brasil
Luis Carlos Gomes INMETRO, Brasil
Theodore Reddock TTBS, Trinidad & Tobago
Dionisia Zully Milessi INTN, Paraguay

 

DRAFT AGENDA

 

1. Introduction and Welcome/Introdución y Bienvenida
2. Verification of Quorum/Verificación de Quórum
3. Approval of Agenda/Aprobación de Agenda
4. Future Activities/Atividades Futuras
5. Matters arising from the General Assembly/Asuntos derivados de la Asamblea General
6. Other Business/Otros Asuntos

 

 

Meeting:

 

1. Introduction and Welcome
Dianne Lalla-Rodrigues, the elected President of SIM for the next term, welcomed Council Members and thanked them for the confidence placed in her. She said she feels honoured with this oportunity and requested for the support of the Council in with her work, as she said she knows it is not an easy job.

 

2. Verification of Quorum
Quorum was verified, 10 out of 12 members of Council being present.

 

3. Approval of Agenda
The agenda was approved with no amendments.

 

4. Future Activities

Luis Mussio presented a draft calendar for 2005, containing the main activities in the area of metrology. The draft version of the calendar will be publicised on SIM web page, with the tentative dates for SIM activities, international metrology activities and other RMO activities.

 

The Council moved to discuss the dates for SIM Meetings, considering the calendar presented by Luis Mussio. Council members decided to hold the next Council Meeting in Barbados, during the second week of February (probably Friday, 11th), in the same week of the QSTF meeting.

 

The second Council Meeting is supposed to be held in August (probably Thursday, 11th) in Washington, in the same week of NCSLi meeting. There will also be TC and PDC meetings at this time. This is in an effort to have more participation of SIM in NCSLI 2005.

Considering NCSLi activities, it was agreed that Dr Joao Jornada remains as the SIM Representative to NCSLi Board of Directors. The Council suggested that the SIM President should make the presentation at the NCSLI Conference 2005. The Council also suggested that Willie May should present SIM's Chemical Metrology program. The Council then opted for a shared presentation between the President and Dr May. As it is also necessary to have a participant in the booth, the Council asked for volunteers. Jose Dajes and Zully Milesi then volunteered. Luis Mussio and Dianne Lalla-Rodrigues will assist them. Yoshito Mitani suggested that SIM should have more material for advertising, like brochure and CD, especially for NCSLi meeting. Jose Dajes remarked that he is preparing a new brochure and he would like to have more data to include in the CD. He volunteered to be the responsible for improving the material.

 

5. Matters arising from the General Assembly
Dianne Lalla-Rodrigues suggested that, since Malcom Smith as the NCSLi representative to SIM was ill and could not participate in the SIM General Assembly 2004, a letter should be sent to him wishing for his convalescence. The Council agreed that the President would send a letter to Mr Smith.

The Council then moved to discuss the dates for the General Assembly 2005, and the Executive Secretary, Oscar Harasic, will be responsible for deciding it with the host country, Trinidad & Tobago.

Considering CR03/03, the Council decided to form a Programme Committee to be in charge of the preparatives for the next General Assembly. The following resolution was then approved:

 

CR10/04: For the GA 2005 the Working Group shall be composed of four members of the Council: the President, the Executive Secretary, the CARIMET Coordinator and the Past President. SIM President will coordinate the group electronically.

 

The Council suggested that the agenda for the next General Assembly and related events should be similar to the one held in Margarita Island, having a seminar for the first three days, then a Council Meeting, the General Assembly and another Council Meeting to close the events.

The Council then brought up the question of NCSLi translations, and Jose Dajes volunteered to coordinate the process.

 

The Council suggested that Hratch Semerjian should be contacted in order to get more information on his attempt to organise a book about the history of metrology in Americas, to know whether he is still interested in this attempt. The subject will be discussed in the next Council meeting.

 

Steve Carpenter reminded the Council of the necessity of writing a feedback letter to OAS, referred to the execution of the SIM Plan. He said he will be responsible for this.

 

Dianne Lalla-Rodrigues then observed that a letter should be sent to SENCAMER to thank Venezuela for the excellent organisation of the events in Margarita Island for the SIM GA 2005.

 

The Council then considered the comments made by Anselm Gittens during the General Assembly about the late appearence of SIM web page at Google. After a short discussion about the subject, the Council concluded that there is nothing to do about it.

 

Dianne Lalla-Rodrigues, in her capacity as incoming President, requested Brasil to continue with the Secretariat and congratulated Brasil for the good work that has been done to date. Taynah Souza, representing SIM Secretariat, thanked for the confidence deposited on their work and remarked that Brasil accepts with honour the invitation to continue with the work as SIM Secretariat.

 

Concerning the discussion about inviting ILAC and IAAC to participate at the General Assembly as observers, Oscar Harasic informed that the President of IAAC changed to Ana Maria Coro from Chile, who has already shown interest in keeping a closer relationship with SIM. Dianne Lalla-Rodrigues asked the Executive Secretary, Oscar Harasic, to coordinate the invitation to both ILAC and IAAC.

 

Jim McLaren then asked whether there is a kind of a formal procedure for preparing the General Assembly, as Canada has volunteered to host the event in 2006, but he still needs to have more details to confirm this possibility back in NRC. Yoshito Mitani explained that concerning funding, part of the resources of the General Assembly comes from OAS. Taynah Souza will send Jim McLaren and Theodore Reddock the last three or four programs of General Assembly to help them in the organization of next events.

 

6. Other Business/Otros Asuntos

Concerning SIM participation in internacional meetings, Council members reminded Council Resolution CR05/03: "The Council decided to have representation at the meetings of NCSLI, EUROMET, OIML and APMP annual meetings. The SIM President is expected to attend these meetings; if he (she) is not available to attend these meetings he (she) will designate another representative".

 

Dianne Lalla-Rodrigues then said that she will coordinate international representation of SIM in the fora mentioned.

 

Yoshito Mitani then asked for suggestions from the Council about the organization of awareness seminars in the subregions. He said he proposed the preparation of four seminars, but maybe it will only be possible to make three. He also said that so far the host subregions and countries would be SURAMET (Paraguay), ANDIMET (Colombia), CAMET (Guatemala). He then asked the coordinators to propose tentative dates. The calendar will be sent to the host countries so they can set a date in accordance to regional meetings.


Having no more subjects to discuss the meeting was closed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Top